Posted on

Why chocolate is bad for you

Spring is in the air which can only mean one thing, actually make that 2 or 3. Lots of new sights and smells, longer walks in the day light and plenty of family time over Easter when the kids and the grownups take some well-earned time off.
There are lots of tempting goodies around at Easter but much of it, unfortunately, is not designed for dogs or cats. Chocolate is the biggest culprit as this contains two substances that are toxic: caffeine and theobromine. Because caffeine is a stimulant, when your pet ingests it, his heart could race or he could have a seizure. Theobromine, an alkaloid present in cocoa beans, acts as a diuretic, stimulant and even a relaxant for people, but is highly toxic to most animals.
If you discover or suspect your pet has eaten chocolate always take him to the vets. Symptoms can include extreme thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle rigidity, agitation, hyperactivity, excessive panting, pacing and seizures. As a rule of thumb, the darker the chocolate the more theobromine it contains and the more dangerous it could be.
So, always keep those chocolate eggs out of temptation and if you want to treat your pet grab a bone, chew, toy or some treats from your local pet shop. The Pet Shed has an amazing range of natural treats, food and accessories and will be open over Easter, only shutting on the bank holidays.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *