I love going on holiday. The new friends, the new smells and the increased chances of a stray sausage falling my way but I can find it rather stressful, particularly in the run up when routines are all out of whack and everyone is getting excited. I get excited too but I don’t always understand what is going on.
As in increasing number of humans take us pets on holiday and as holiday companies wake up to this fact and offer more pet friendly holidays we need to ensure that our pet’s needs into account.
Imagine, for a moment, being your dog. He is probably asking himself what is going on. Why is everyone so excited, what do the big suitcases mean, and most importantly, what about me? Find time to reassure your pet and use the following list to ensure you are prepared with all the essentials for a great holiday.
- Food – stock up on his normal food so you don’t run out when you are away
- Stake and longline – the feeling of freedom without the worry!
- Travel bowls for food and water – collapsible for easy storage
- Travel water bottle – sightseeing is thirsty work
- Seatbelt restraint/harness or crate – better safe than sorry
- Bed and/or blanket – the smell and feel of home can be very reassuring
- Toys – for those relaxation moments
- Treats and chews – well it’s a holiday!
- Natural calming/travel sickness remedy – because we can get overexcited
But above all remember to enjoy your holiday and quality time with the WHOLE family!